How a book and a Global Pandemic helped me cure my Fast Fashion addiction

I was an online shopaholic. 

Now, I know how trivial that must sound but it's true and it really was a big issue in my life. You see, online shopping for me was the answer to everything. If I was feeling sad - I'd treat myself, if I had a small achievement - I'd treat myself, even if I was bored - some how I would end up treating myself. It was an expensive form of self care and it really wasn't healthy. It had been going on for so long, I had even tried giving it up for a month and failed, I tried to reduce it a little, and failed. I just loved the feeling of having something new and not ever feeling the struggle of having nothing to wear. However, there were also lows, not having money, racking up large Klarna bills and finally the embarrassing weekly (at times daily) walk of shame to the post office with five or six parcels, being served by the same two people in the small post office, judging me every time. 

I think it's interesting to look back on my older posts to see just how bad this was: 
This post was written in the beginning of 2018, where I tried to give up online shopping and failed, then justified it in the end. It's a hilarious read. 

Anyway...

I needed to do something about it. Fast. 

One day, I was in London walking through Foyles and it was as if god was sending me a message, shining a light onto this book, telling me to get my shit together. How to Break Up with Fast Fashion by Lauren Bravo. 

Now, this book offers a lot of friendly advice from a person who has been through it, who empathises with you, rather than some expert looking down on you. She offered new ways of thinking about clothes, a different thought process when it came to buying clothes and gave me a new perspective. One thing that was really useful in the book was Bravo showed me how to love the clothes I already owned, how to upcycle and fix faulty items which is a very efficient way of looking at it. 

But then, Bravo also shames you a little by hitting you with the cold and hard facts about the fast fashion industry. 

'If your feminism is truly intersectional then you should care what the lady in Bangladesh is being paid to make your "feminism" T-shirt' (Bravo, Page 38)

It is shameful, but we need to face this issue.  

Did you know... 

'Fashion is the second highest product category risk of modern slavery,' (Bravo, page 32). 

'In 2012, an estimated 12.6 million people died as a result of living or working in an unhealthy environment,' (Bravo, page 45). 

'With current technologies, it would take 12 years to recycle what the fast fashion industry creates in 48 hours,' (Kianna, 7 billion for seas). 

'The average person buys 60 percent more items of clothing than they did just fifteen years ago, and keeps them for about half as long,' (Bravo, page 50).  

'The fashion industry produced 92 million tons of waste in 2015 alone,' (Kianna, 7 billion for seas).

'By 2050, the equivalent of almost three earths could be required to provide the natural resources it would take to sustain our current lifestyles,' (Bravo, page 50). 

'Among seventy- one leading retailers in the UK, 77 percent believe there is likelihood of modern slavery (forced labour) occurring at some stage in their supply chains,' (Bravo, page 52).

There are so many more disgusting statistics out there, revealing the truth about fast fashion. 

These facts are staggeringly shocking. It made me aware of what was happening around me, the sacrifices people were making for the sake of a dress that I might have only worn once. It's shameful but the only way it is going to get better is if people face up to what is going on. The facts made me very aware of what was going in the world. It pushed me to shop with brands that were ethical and sustainable. I also have noticed a lot of brands are putting their foot in the right direction. I can't promise I won't shop fast fashion anymore, it surrounds us, and sometimes I will. But, I am trying to put myself in the right direction, and if everyone does that, then we can make a positive impact and perhaps brands will see that and do better. And no, I am not going to throw out all the fast fashion items in my wardrobe, that is just adding to the problem. 

Now, my eyes were wide open. I was trying to be better, use brands that were making a positive impact. Unfortunately, that didn't stop the shopping. But, then we were hit with a global pandemic. 

I know during this period, online shopping was one of the only things you could still do, and I know for a fact it would've felt good. I saw so many tiktoks and YouTube videos of clothing hauls. Brands were throwing out the discount codes left, right and centre #lockdowntreat, #stayathomeinstyle. It was very tempting, but during in lock down I moved back home with my parents and my dad put an almighty ban on ordering parcels to the house. We were being very careful and reducing as much risk as possible. I was living under their roof, with only one instruction, they were feeding me every evening and letting me live rent free, how could I disobey that? 

So I went cold turkey. 

It has been a few months since we have come out of lockdown. So, am I still online shopping? Yes. But, I am in control now. My aim wasn't to stop shopping completely, that wouldn't be necessary. I now have a new mindset, I have learnt to look in my wardrobe properly, shop my own clothes for events rather than buying new (which I think was my biggest issue). 

How to do better: 

Recycle
Depop, Vinted, eBay. This is a really good way to ensure your clothes are being reused and not wasted. During lockdown, I was able to sell all of my unwanted clothes, the money goes towards paying off my Very.co.uk bill where I bought my apple watch. It means the money is going somewhere. 
If you don't have the time to sell your clothes, take them to a charity shop. A simple solution and your clothes are not going to waste. 

Shop better. 
There are brands now who are making the effort to do better. For example, ASOS; they have just signed the 'New Plastics Economy Global Commitment'. Do your research, brands are now trying to be better, support them and not the ones who don't care. 
Also, shop second hand. Like I said Depop is great and really easy. Most of the things I have sold on Depop have barely been worn, therefore you are buying nearly new items at a much lower price. There is also nothing better than finding an absolute gem in a charity shop for a ridiculous discount. 

Finally, change your perspective. 
Bravo has helped me change my mindset. Now when I make plans, instead of looking through the ASOS app for an outfit, I get up off my arse and look in my wardrobe. My bank account loves me for it, I am no longer wasting money on wearing an outfit once and finally I have my parents off my back for the amount of parcels coming through the front door. 

Small changes can make a big impact for yourself and everyone else. 

Lauren Bravo (2020) How to Break Up with Fast Fashion, Headline, Hachette. 

Kianna (2018) Fast Fashion Fact: What you need to know, 7 Billion for 7 Seas, Available at: https://7billionfor7seas.com/fast-fashion-facts/ (Accessed on: 17/09/2020) 










Comments

Popular Posts