A Christmas (Book) List

The thought of writing any blog posts about Christmas this year didn't feel right. I find writing Christmas posts in general quite difficult because I really don't know where to start, with that and the fact that I am in tier 4 and locked down for Christmas, that made the need for writing a post harder. 

What could I possibly write about? 

Then it hit me, write what I know and I think it's pretty clear from my blog that I know books. And, what could be better? Especially since this Christmas is going to be a little more 'chilled out', some people may be spending it alone, so what better to tell you about my favourite books to read at Christmas. 

Let's start with a classic - and a bit of an obvious one. 

A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens 
It's a story that everyone knows and has probably seen various different versions through out their life. The book was published in 1843, and is one of the main reasons Christmas has become such a big tradition in England. Before the book was published, having turkey as part of your Christmas dinner was very uncommon. He used the book to bring up issues such as child labour to raise awareness and make a point, there is a lot more to the book then you may think. 

His book popularised Christmas, and made Victorians more aware of the Christmas traditions we have today. Without A Christmas Carol, who knows how we would celebrate today. And if that isn't enough for you to read it, it's a great story. It's full of the super natural, ghosts and time travel, a novel that is WAY before it's time. 

I Heart Christmas - Lindsey Kelk 
If you read my blog posts regularly then you would have heard me mention this author before and I know for a fact you will hear me mention it again. 

I Heart Christmas is the sixth (I think) book in the I Heart Series. This book is based in New York following Angelia's Christmas. Obviously, with Angela nothing is simple and there are a lot of obstacles in the way for her to achieve a perfect Christmas, but of course she gets there in the end. 

This is a feel good book that is a great escape especially if you're not feeling the festivities this year. I'd also recommend reading the series too, preferably in the right order. 

Another classic 
Little Woman - 
Technically this book isn't a Christmas book but it's a story I like to read at this time every year and I think it does put me in the Christmas spirit. They also do celebrate Christmas in the book. The famous novel follows four very different and unique sisters, growing up, finding their passions and following their dreams. Which in 1868 (when the book was published) was unheard of, women were expected to be housewives, not musicians, painters and writers. 

The story is full of laughs, love and tragedy, which is the perfect book. Especially if you're looking for an escape this Christmas, this book may put things into perspective or maybe allow you to feel something for a character rather than yourself for a while. 

Bridget Jones' Diary - Helen Fielding 
Again, it's not technically a Christmas book, but it starts with Christmas and ends with Christmas and it's a great read in between. Bridget Jones is such an iconic character but at the same time so relatable in so many ways. I think it's the perfect book to end any year with because it's all about starting fresh, setting goals and just going with it when things aren't perfect. 

Christmas with Billy and Me - Giovanna Fletcher 
This is a short story, following the book Billy and Me. It follows Sophie experiencing what it's like to be in a relationship with a celebrity while continuing with everyday life. I bought the book when it came out but I am not sure if it was just a one off to buy it in paper back, however I am sure you would be able to purchase the eBook if you are unable to find a hard copy. 

Billy and Me is such a lovely book and I wasn't able to put it down until I had finished it. Christmas with Billy and Me is the perfect little short story that allows you to properly see Billy and Sophie as a couple and to experience their happy ending with them. It's a great read, short but sweet and very light hearted. 


Comments

Popular Posts