Through the Eyes

You show me everything. I am treated to the most extraordinary and intimate sights and you share them with only me. I see your secrets, your experiences and your most precious moments. You have given me the front seat and I spend my day watching. But the only reason you love me is because you need me.

You make feel like I am special, that I am your favourite. You make me stand out by dressing me up with shimmer and glitter to make us look attractive and suddenly people are drawn to me, it’s very flattering. You don’t do it for me though; you use me for you own gain and your own attention. I observe and I notice that I am not the only one. You put diamonds on your ears, exotic tints on your lips and paint beautiful colours on your nails. I’m certainly not special.

You don’t realise how delicate I am. How much you need me. You’d be lost without me there for you. You forget that I am fragile, you blind me with the bright rays on a summers day, you coat my hair in black goop and you stay up late and don’t allow me to rest. It hurts, it bruises and dries me out.

When things get bad and I show you something you didn’t want to see, I scar you with the image. Then you punish me by blurring me out with water or worse, closing me off for a while. You decide you no longer want to use me and rely on the others. They can make you feel better, but I can’t, all I can do is show you what’s there, what is right in front of you. I can't lie but that's not my fault. I’m just there for you, like all the others.

I showed you what was there. I adjusted from the brightness; the light came through when you opened the door. When you saw it, you didn’t speak to him for a while after that. I showed you the wrong and for a while you listened, but then he told you something else, played with your mind and manipulated you into forgiving him. Your brain, your ears and even your mouth tricked you into thinking different. Suddenly what you saw wasn’t so important anymore. Your thoughts the things you heard and the things you told yourself took over.

I can only show you what is there, I can’t help what it is. I promise I don’t lie. How could I? I just want to show you the truth. You don’t always see. You take what you want to see and trust the others, you listen, taste, feel, think, but they lie. I am the one who knows the most, who has seen the most-but you don’t care about that. They can change what you see by telling you lies; they tell you what they wanted you to see and it makes you feel better. And suddenly you don’t care what I think, but you should. The truth may hurt, but the lies can't hide forever. 


Comments

Popular Posts