The One Stop Shop - Depop

It took me so long to sell my first item, I'm talking months. It's a very frustrating process, I know. Even now it still takes a while and you really need to be patient and not let it bother you. Depop for me is a side thing, I do not rely on the money I get from it in anyway. 

Since my last post I have been thinking a lot about the fashion industry, fast fashion and the impact it is having. I also mentioned in the post about Depop. I wouldn't describe myself as successful 'seller', but I would say I have sold a good amount to consider my page semi successful for kind of page I am. I am not trying to open a business, I am just selling clothes I don't want anymore, and I have managed to shift quite a lot of items. Therefore I am here to share my experience while also, some of the tips and tricks I have learnt a long the way to sell sell sell. 

So first, of course I am going to plug my page...


https://www.depop.com/tatesoph/ 

So lets begin... 

1

Your pictures need to be clear and you need to have multiple, a good variety. For me, if I can (I am also not sure if this is actually allowed), I use a photo from the original place I bought the item from, one with the model in it. This is a good way of showing buyers how it looks, how it would look if they were buying it new. This sometimes isn't a good thing as you may be accused of catfishing but, I know the clothes I am selling are still in good condition, therefore I don't worry too much about that. If not, it's a good idea to have a picture of you or someone else wearing it, most of the time buyers will ask for it, so you might as well provide them already to save yourself the trouble later and avoid giving them more chance to change their mind about your item. 

2

Follow, Follow, Follow

You need loads of friends to sell. You just need followers. I have 2675 followers. I didn't gain them from my dashing personality, I gained them from just following EVERYONE. I can understand this may be an issue if you are also buying as it will most definitely mess with your feed, but for me if I am buying off Depop it's for a particular item I will just search for anyway, so it doesn't bother me. It takes a while but I just followed until I reached the maximum, which I believe to be around 7,500. The more followers you have, the more feeds you will show up on. Also, the more likes you will have on your items, which is important because if someone is considering buying an item with a lot of likes, they may choose to get it faster before someone else does. 

3

Refresh

Once your items are up, don't just leave them there. I edit and repost my items everyday, sometimes even twice a day. This doesn't take long, I don't change any details, I just edit and post again. This means your items wont get lost in the feed and they will keep appearing for people. I think this is the reason I am able to sell my clothes and I think it is the key to selling. If you just leave it there and wait, nothing will happen. It takes me five minutes and it makes all the difference. 

4

Invest

I wouldn't actually say this is an investment, but you are buying something that in the long run will help your profit, so I guess technically this is. Buy your jiffy bags in bulk. This means when people buy things from you, you don't have to go out and buy something to send it in, you are already set to stick the item in and pop the address on. 

5

Free Delivery 

I know you wont want to be paying £3.10 of your own money when sending your items out but, people will more likely buy your items if there isn't a delivery charge. It's annoying, but true. A good way to get around this is just put your prices on your items up ever so slightly. This means you're not losing money, but at the same time your buyer thinks there are getting a good deal, which most of the time they still are. 

6

Be open to offers

This is important. If you let your sellers know you are open to offers, they are more likely to message and ask. Sometimes I will accept an offer just because I want it gone and most of the time people are reasonable. 

7

Sale Time

You can add discounts to your items all at once. This is good because it tells you that there's a discount, (I usually have mine at 15% or 20%). This will increase the chances of people buying your items. 


These are only a few tips but for me it was the difference between selling items and not selling. So I thought I would share and hopefully it will be useful to someone out there. 




Comments

Popular Posts