The eBook argument

As a Creative Writing student, I have found that one of the biggest debates my course mates and I have had outside the classroom is the Ebook vs Book debate. Now, some people are fully against them, 100% would never whereas other have experienced the eBook and stand by the gadget. I can see both sides but I do have one very strong opinion but I thought I'd do a little opinion/ debate post. This is something that I feel very strongly about and feel like it deserves a place on my blog, so enjoy...

The main reason behind my dislike to eBooks is the feeling of holding the book in your hand. I find holding a book a lot more satisfying than a rectangle in my hand. I find the whole experience a lot nicer. I know this sounds stupid but if you're in agreement with me then I am pretty sure you'll know what I am talking about. I also find that having the actual book gives you a bigger connection with the Author. They have worked on the image of this book as well, worked with artists with the front cover and everything else.

*** Also, you can't collect beautiful editions
like this with an Ebook. 
Another thing, you can't collect e books physically. I love having all my books on my book shelf and as sad as this sounds, I love looking at them. I have a collection and I love each book in a different way. I couldn't imagine what my room would look like without books, how boring would it look with no book shelf and just one e reader? On that similar topic, you can lend books out, buy them second hand and give them away.

With an E book you are missing out on that NEW BOOK SMELL, that beautiful scent of the freshly printed pages and that satisfying feeling when you buy a book and crack the spine. How could you give up on that?

You don't have to charge your book. When you go away, you have one less charger to worry about. It's one of the only forms of entertainment now that you don't have to charge and if you want a break from a screen you can have that. Imagine being on a computer all day, tired screen eyes and when you come home all you want is a good book and then you have to stare at another screen?

The Economy. To actually produce a psychical book, the process can take a lot of people. From the paper, to the ink, it's a process made in a factory. If books were 'cancelled' there would be businesses going bankrupt and jobs being lost. 

Finally. I feel like it's cheaper. Yes E books are cheaper to buy, but you actually have to buy the device and then buy the books onto the device. So perhaps in the long run, you will be saving money but in the beginning it won't feel like that.


Now, I have to fight the other corner, and believe it or not, I do see some positives for E books...

In terms of the environment, I am sure they are better. Less paper is being used. So, it is a positive for trees and our environment. The device is light weight and probably will fit in your bag. Plus if you're like me and can go through books quite quickly, it means you can carry thousands of books around with you. So, E Book I will give you that...

(Apologies this side of the argument is a lot lighter but I can't help if there's more 'good points' for books)

As you can probably see, I am against the eBook and fully stand by the book. I don't think I will ever use one. Personally I don't think they will die out because, I think they would have already started declining and they haven't. Like how videos have died and dvds, books are still in full use. But, Id love to see other opinions. I have heard from a few friends who have converted to eBooks before.
So make your own opinion on the matter and let me know.
I rest my case...

Comments

Popular Posts