Self Care

Recently I have been reading posts and watching videos on self care. I think it is something a lot of people are discussing at the moment and I didn't realise how important it is for people to practice it. It can make such a difference for people and have a huge impact on their life and how they're feeling.


"Self care is essential. It refers to activities, routines and practices that will reduce stress and maintain our well being."



So, I thought I would practice some self care on myself and show you ways to achieve it. I have just finished my second year of uni and I am thrilled. I have worked so hard this semester and have produced work that I am really proud of. But when all is said and done, I am an exhausted mess. My sleeping pattern is all messed up, I have been over eating and unhealthy and I don't even want to think about the lack of exercise I have done recently. I am in desperate need of some self care.

SPRING CLEAN
This was something I tackled first and in my opinion the most important. My room wasn't too bad, it just needed a little refresh; so I tackled an obscene pile of laundry and refreshed my bed sheets. The smell of fresh was already making me feel better. But then, there was the kitchen. I understand why it got so bad, there are seven students living in my flat, seven stressed out young adults so mess was inevitable. A couple of us tackled the mess and although it was disgusting, it felt so good afterwards to be able to cook in a clean environment and to have a kitchen that didn't smell.
I think sometimes when there's that much dirt, it can stress me out. Even though it wasn't something that was directly helping me, it did make me feel a lot better.

TREAT YO SELF
I think it's so important to reward yourself. Now, if you have been reading my blog a while, you would know I have a little bit of a problem with shopping (I just can't help myself), therefore I couldn't allow myself to go crazy but i did get a few little items that would reward me for the work I have put in this semester. So, a few staple pieces for the summer went in my basket but not much more, I am working on my shopping habit.

EAT
You probably know I have a huge love for food. So, when I treated myself to a Chinese (my favourite). It was delicious. Self care isn't just about what's good for your body, it's also what's good for you and what makes you happy. I obviously want to be healthy, but sometimes I just want some tasty and unhealthy. Eating badly every once in a while isn't going to kill you.

EXERCISE
We all know the good exercise can do for your body. Being active is great and can release endorphins which makes you happy. It has also been studied that exercise can help you with other factors in your life, it helps you sleep better.

GO OUT
Don't lock yourself inside, go out and do things. Being stuck inside all the time won't be good for you. So don't do it. After my deadlines, I planned things to do for me and others so that wouldn't happen. Whether that would be picking up extra shifts at work, organising lunches and dinners, shopping.

DO THE THINGS YOU LOVE
One thing that I haven't be able to do for a while was read. I just didn't have the time and I would feel guilty reading for pleasure when I had a reading list that I was supposed to be reading instead. For me, reading allows me to leave my world for a few hours and enter another one.

PAMPER
Grab a face mask, watch a movie, eat some popcorn. Perhaps you haven't painted your nails in a while or maybe you just want to feel new, if this is something you think is going to help

I don't think self care is something every one can do the same. It is something that works differently for people and you've got to find out what makes you happy and relaxed. It's so important to give yourself the time to love yourself.
There are so many articles online about self care, so if you're interested in reading suggestions or other peoples self care routines go and check them out.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts