5 Things you think you need for uni, but actually don't

This time a year ago I would have been very thankful to read something like this.
My first year I lived in halls, my room was on the top floor with no lift, which meant we had to take all my stuff up 4 sets of stairs. Nightmare.

Kitchen Appliances
I know that you have probably already heard this one, but don't take any kitchen appliances unless you have communicated with all of your flat mates before. Firstly, you may already have that appliance given to you in your kitchen anyway, but you could also end up with 5 kettles, three toasters and 4 toasties makers. It is just better to wait and see what's there before you buy anything like that, you may even end up saving yourself some pennies.

Stationary
You may be one of those people who love stationary (doesn't everyone?) but this is where you don't want to go overboard. Here is my advice. Don't buy anything, well; maybe a pack of black pens if your mum offers, but seriously don't. I attended my first week with just a notebook and pen and from that I worked out what I would need. Once I figured that out I took a quick trip to Wilkos and sorted myself out. All I needed really was a small notebook for each module, a black pen, a pencil and a highlighter. Then a folder to hold written work and handouts, that was all. I can understand why you would think you would need a lot but honestly trialing out before buying is the best way forward. Firstly, you will save yourself some money by not buying stuff you will never use and saving yourself some space. It's also less to take in the car when you're packing it up to go to move in.

Clothes 
Obviously you need to take clothes, I am not saying don't take clothes. What I am saying is don't take your whole wardrobe. Firstly, you will most likely not have the space, the chances of you getting a big wardrobe is slim. But also, from my experiences and others I know that most people at uni begin to develop a new style. I don't think I wear any of the clothes I used to have. My style just changed and I began to buy different clothes and slowly change my wardrobe. Now, this is a lot easier if you bring less clothes; It makes you feel less guilty about treating yourself to a new style.
P.S You don't need to take summer clothes with you, when it begins to get warmer, take some of your winter clothes home and swap them for you summer clothes.

Books and DVDs
I love books and I felt like I couldn't part with them when I went away; i had built up quite a nice collection. I was sensible and restricted myself to a small piles of books that were either one of my favourites or that I hadn't read yet. BIG MISTAKE. I really didn't need that many books and the majority of the time I was buying more and more books and just building up a little collection in my uni room. I would suggest to bring perhaps your favourite book that would maybe make you feel at home when you're feeling homesick. There is nothing wrong with rotating books too, when you go home take the books you have read and swap them with others. Then you have a nice small collection which doesn't use up too much space. DVD's are the same, you could rotate them but honestly are you going to watch them? Especially with Netflix and other companies that are similar floating around?

Shoes
If you don't where them while you are at home, you will not wear them while you are away!
I took four pairs of heels and didn't wear any of them. They just take up space. I wanted them to be there just in case I suddenly wanted to wear them but when I really needed them I was at home and they were at uni. You just have to be brutal with yourself, don't think that you might wear them because the likely hood is you wont.

The key is to be ruthless...




Comments

Popular Posts